If you have nowhere to stay

You will need to contact Merthyr Tydfil Council Housing Solutions team on 01685 725000. You can also access this team at the one stop shop in the civic centre.

If you are 16/17 Social Services will also need to speak to you as you have the option of going into the care of the Local Authority.


What can the council do?

Our main aim will be to get you to return home if it is safe to do so. If you are able to return home we may offer you and your family the support of a mediation worker. They will be able to work with you and your family to address any issues that lead to you being asked to leave the family home.

If it is not safe for you to return home or your family will not allow you to return then you will be offered a homelessness assessment by the council. If you are 16/17 this will be done jointly with Social Services who will also need to look into your current housing needs and if there are any support needs.

If you are classed as being an a priority need category for accommodation you will be offered temporary accommodation. Initially this may be a room in B&B you will then be moved on to supported accommodation or a hostel that best suits your needs.


Paying for Housing costs

If you have no money and are classed as being estranged from your family then you will be supported to make relevant benefit claims. 


I’m leaving care

Shelter Cymru have produced a booklet that outlines your options as you move on from care.