What is Anti Social Behaviour?


Anti-Social behaviour can involve any of the following but is not limited to the following actions or behaviours:. 

  • Noise nuisance such as loud music, shouting in the street
  • Intimidation and harassment
  • Violence or threats of violence
  • Rowdy behaviour
  • Street drinking
  • Dealing or taking drugs
  • Graffiti
  • Damage to property
  • Dumping Rubbish
  • Uncontrolled animals 
  • Persistent dog barking

These are just a few examples of Anti-Social behaviour and they may be combined with actual criminal offences such as threats of violence, drug dealing, property damage. If you suspect there could be criminal offences committed you should report it immediately to the police by telephoning ‘101’.

If you feel you are experiencing Anti-Social Behaviour and you feel safe to do so you should speak to your neighbour as they may not be aware the impact their behaviour is having on you. If you do not feel safe doing this and you are a Housing Association tenant it is important that you report it to the relevant member of staff. If you are living in private housing you need to report it to the police by telephoning ‘101’. or Iin the case of only noise nuisance to contact environmental health based in Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council. If there is Anti-Social behaviour and not just noise nuisance you can contact the councils community safety team. These options are also open to Housing Association tenants.

If you feel you have no option but to move you can apply for alternative accommodation through Living Merthyr Tydfil. You will only be considered for an emergency move in exceptional circumstance and as a last resort. This would require the ia Police Inspector writing into the Housing Department solutions team requesting a move for your safety.